Fear of the Future Dwells in Every Human Heart
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
- <The Road Not Taken> by Robert Frost -
Life is a continual series of choices.
And with each choice, the outcome unfolds differently.
As we walk the path of life for the first time, hesitation and fear accompany us all.
Yet so does a sense of anticipation.
Life does not allow us to remain still simply because we are afraid,
nor can we merely wait in expectation because we are excited.
The path we believed to be the best may turn out differently from what we imagined.
What we once thought the most beautiful road may become a road of hardship.
But if, through the path we have chosen, we gain experience and grow in reflection,
then that very path becomes the one that enriches our lives.
In the end, the depth of life is not determined by the results of our choices,
but by how faithfully we walk the path we have chosen.
— From <Dawn Light Notes> by Ki Jun Kwon —
Today’s Reflection
★ The future can be frightening. Yet fear must never become the reason we stop moving forward. ★