The Human Instinct to Gossip

Human beings are instinctively drawn to spreading rumors, 
speaking ill of others, and pursuing fleeting pleasures.
Yet each time I found myself in such moments, there was a quiet unease within me.
Gradually, I began to withdraw from those kinds of relationships—
keeping my distance, no longer forcing a smile.
Before long, I stopped receiving invitations to those gatherings altogether.
Looking back, it was one of the best decisions I ever made.
        — From Today’s Lesson from Seneca by Darius Foroux —

During a pastor’s sermon,
many congregants could be seen nodding off.
Suddenly, the pastor posed a question:
“What is the best way to deal with drowsiness while driving?”
A brief silence followed, and then, with a smile, he said:
“Just bring an elder or a deacon into the car and start gossiping about them.”
The congregation burst into laughter.
Yet within that laughter lay an unvarnished reflection of ourselves.

According to the theory of social psychologist Leon Festinger,
people have a natural tendency to compare themselves with others in order to achieve psychological stability.
Gossip becomes a means of regulating one’s own self-esteem.
It spreads more rapidly when it involves the misfortune or failure of others,
and becomes even more pronounced in competitive relationships.

When one turns away from gossip,
it is not uncommon to be edged out or even excluded.
But there is no need to sacrifice one’s dignity merely to belong.
A quiet withdrawal, or gently redirecting the conversation, is enough.
The one who knows how to leave such a space
is far stronger than the one who stays and laughs along.
         — From Dawn Light Notes by Ki Jun Kwon —

Reflection of the Day

★ There is no relationship worth preserving at the cost of the principles
you know to be right. ★

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When I Am Too Happy, I Close My Eyes

Regrets at the Edge of Life

A Parent’s Final Gift to a Child