The One Person Who Truly Understands Your Heart
Today, for no particular reason,
as I sip a cup of hazelnut coffee,
I find myself wishing there were at least one person
before whom I could open the heart I have kept closed
and finally speak the words I have long hidden away.
Someone who, when I speak of lonely memories,
would quietly say, “I will stay beside you.”
Someone who, when I speak of parting,
would look at me with dew gathering in their eyes.
Someone who, when I speak of hope,
would become happy, immersed in dreams alongside me.
Though life in this harsh world
wears us down at every winding turn,
there are moments when,
over the quiet leisure of a single cup of tea,
we long for one person
with whom even sorrow can be shared and slowly sipped together—
the one person who truly understands the heart.
— from The One Person Who Truly Understands Your Heart by poet Eun-mi Bae
At times, I wonder
whether I, too, have such a person in my life—
someone who truly understands my heart.
As I sit before a cup of hazelnut coffee,
I think of the people
with whom I once shared loneliness and love,
farewells and hope.
My first love brushes past my memory.
I remember the mischievous childhood friend
from those carefree, immature days.
I think, too, of the younger companion
with whom I shared a water-soaked handkerchief
amid clouds of tear gas.
Life is always a succession
of exhausting and difficult bends in the road.
Yet if there is even one person
with whom we can share not only warmth,
but even our deepest sorrow
over a quiet cup of tea,
perhaps that alone is enough.
Life is difficult not because there are no people around us,
but because there is no one
who truly understands our hearts.
And suddenly I ask myself:
Am I that one person for someone else?
Am I listening beside another soul in silence?
To understand another person’s heart
is not to offer answers,
but simply to remain beside them.
Only now do I feel
I am beginning to understand that.
— From Dawn Light Notes by Ki Jun Kwon
Today’s Reflection
★ I pause to ask myself
whether I am the one person
who truly understands someone else’s heart.
No matter how harsh the world may become,
I still dream
of that one person
who understands the heart. ★
[Go back to Korean version] 한국어
Comments
Post a Comment