The Wounds Left by Those Closest to Us

"But one great truth in life I've found,

While journeying to the West—

The only folks who really wound

Are those we love the best."


"We flatter those we scarcely know,

We please the fleeting guest,

And deal full many a thoughtless blow

To those who love us best."

   — From Life's Scars by Ella Wheeler Wilcox


How curious human nature can be.

We offer a warm smile to someone we have never met before.

We thank a restaurant server with courtesy and respect.

Yet too often, we fail to extend the same kindness to the people dearest to our hearts.


Because they are family.

Because they have been with us for so long.

Because we assume they understand us better than anyone else.

And so, without thinking, we let words slip from our lips that we would never say to others.


A stone thrown by a stranger is soon forgotten.

But a tiny thorn cast by someone close can remain lodged in the heart for years.

The world may never remember our acts of kindness.

But our family and loved ones often remember, for a lifetime, a single careless word spoken in haste.

   - From Dawn Light Notes by Ki Jun Kwon


Reflection of the Day

★ A paycheck lovingly brought home for one’s family can never fully repay the hurt caused by a thoughtless remark.

Today, let us make a quiet promise to ourselves: to say “I’m sorry,” “Thank you,” and “I love you” at least once each day.

For the people closest to us deserve not only our devotion, but also the gentleness of our words. ★

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When I Am Too Happy, I Close My Eyes

Regrets at the Edge of Life

A Parent’s Final Gift to a Child