The Friends Who Remain
“Everything all right?”
“Yes, everything’s fine.”
“I just called because I was thinking of you.”
“Good. Once I get over the jet lag, I’ll stop by and see you.”
This is a conversation between two friends who have shared their hearts over many years.
Even if months pass without seeing each other, they greet one another with the same warmth and ease as if they had met only yesterday.
As we grow older, the number of friends we have tends to diminish.
What remains are the few genuine friends with whom we can truly share our hearts.
But what kind of person becomes such a friend?
First, a true friend is someone who makes you feel at ease.
Someone whose presence never feels awkward, no matter how much time has passed.
Someone with whom silence is comfortable, not burdensome.
If you have a friend who accepts you exactly as you are, that is one of life’s greatest blessings.
Second, a true friend speaks the truth.
Not someone who simply agrees with everything you say,
but someone who offers sincere counsel when it is needed,
and quietly takes your hand when you begin to lose your way.
Authentic friendship is built upon honesty and genuine care.
Third, a true friend stays by your side to the very end.
Not someone who appears only when life is successful or convenient,
but someone who offers a word of comfort when you are struggling, lonely, or weary.
With such a friend beside you, life is never truly lonely.
If you have a friend like this, you possess one of the greatest gifts life can offer—something beyond all measure and beyond all price.
— From Dawn Light Notes by Ki Jun Kwon
Today's Reflection
★ Meeting a good friend is a blessing.
But an even greater blessing is becoming that kind of friend to someone else.
Today, I think I will reach out to a friend with a simple message:
“Everything all right? I was just thinking about you.” ★
Comments
Post a Comment