The Vice Mayor Who Shined Shoes

This is a story about a vice mayor in Korea many years ago.

Known for his integrity, he resigned from office after accepting responsibility for a mistake made by one of his subordinates. With his sudden departure, he found himself facing an uncertain livelihood. To support himself, he picked up a shoeshine box and began shining shoes.

It was a decision that most people could scarcely imagine.

Soon, word spread throughout the town: “The former vice mayor is shining shoes.” People came from all directions asking him to polish their footwear. Some even brought shoes that were already spotless, simply to be shined by him.

What began as a means of survival eventually became something much greater. He not only earned a living but later opened a successful shoe store. In time, he established a free school for underprivileged students who struggled to afford an education.

What is truly remarkable is not that he shined shoes, but that he was willing to set aside the dignity of his former office.

So often, we become trapped by our titles, our accomplishments, and the image we have built of ourselves. We cling to pride, saying, “Do you know who I am?” or “How could someone like me do such a thing?” Yet when pride becomes a prison, opportunities disappear from view.

The path to success is often more visible to those who rise each time they fall than to those who have never stumbled at all.

It is not a title that elevates a person.

And it is not pride that restores a life.

The power to begin again comes from courage.

This story, which I first heard from my father as a child, has remained a steadfast pillar of courage throughout my life.

             - From Dawn Light Notes by Ki Jun Kwon

Reflection of the Day

In the quiet dawn, as darkness slowly gives way to light, I pause to ask myself: Am I delayingor even abandoningsomething I ought to do simply because of pride, status, or concern for appearances?

[Go back to Korean version] 한국어

[www.DawnLightLetter.com] 새벽 빛 편지

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When I Am Too Happy, I Close My Eyes

Regrets at the Edge of Life

A Parent’s Final Gift to a Child