Life Ends When We Stop Challenging Ourselves
Several years ago, Professor Kim Hyung-suk, now 106, delivered congratulatory remarks at a calligraphy exhibition by Lee Gon, then 90, who had once been his student at Choong-Ang High School.
“Having lived for a hundred years, I have come to realize two things.
No matter how old you grow, don’t simply sit idle—keep studying. And never lose confidence in yourself.
The moment you decide that your life is over, it truly is.”
There is something deeply moving about a centenarian teacher telling his 90-year-old student not to stop learning.
I am also reminded of the late Won Hoon Chung, a legendary figure in the Korean American banking community. When he was 90, I happened to see him jogging through Hancock Park with headphones on.
I pulled over and asked what music he was listening to.
It wasn’t music at all. He was listening to German conversation lessons.
Already fluent in Japanese, English, and Spanish, he had decided, at the age of 90, to learn yet another language—German.
Then there is Chairman Steven Koh, a living witness to the history of Korean American banking. At his retirement ceremony as chairman emeritus of Bank of Hope last year, he took the stage with a guitar and sang for the audience.
He had begun learning the guitar at the age of 80, something he had always wanted to do. Just seven months later, he stood before an audience of some 300 people, guitar in hand, and performed.
His passion and sincerity left a profound impression on everyone in the room.
We often use age as a reason to let go of things.
We tell ourselves, It’s too late now.
I’ve done enough.
This is as far as I was meant to go.
But when we stop learning and stop challenging ourselves, something in life itself comes to a halt.
The end of life, then, is not determined by age.
It begins the moment we stop challenging ourselves.
- From Dawn Light Notes by Ki Jun Kwon
Reflection of the Day
★ The saying “Age is just a number” becomes true
only for those who continue to learn and dare to take on new challenges. ★
[Go back to Korean version] 한국어
Comments
Post a Comment