“Treat Me Well While I’m Still Here.”
This is a story from a company dinner many years ago.
One of our employees got up and sang Oh Seung-geun’s “Treat Me Well While I’m Still Here.”
“Treat me well while I’m still here, so you won’t have regrets.
Treat me well while I’m still here, and don’t let your heart waver.
You should have held on to me when I was still close.
Treat me well while I’m still here—yes, treat me well.
What more could you possibly ask of me?
Treat me well while I’m still here, while I’m still here.”
When the song ended, the room burst into applause.
But here and there, I could also hear people chuckling.
Thinking back, I realized it was probably not the song itself that amused them, but the lyrics.
The more I thought about the words “Treat Me Well While I’m Still Here,” the more amusing they became. From management’s point of view, they sounded like something the company might say to its employees. From the employees’ point of view, they sounded like something they might want to say to management.
So I joked that perhaps our company motto should be, “Treat me well while I’m still here.”
The room erupted in laughter once again.
The same is true of love, family, and friendship.
Strangely, we often fail to appreciate people while they are still beside us.
Because they have always been there, we take their presence for granted.
Because we assume we can always see them again, we put things off until another day.
Then one day, after they are gone, we find ourselves wishing, “If only I had treated them a little better.”
Perhaps “Treat Me Well While I’m Still Here” is more than just a popular song.
Perhaps it carries one of life’s most practical and timeless lessons:
Cherish people while they are still with you.
Reflection of the Day
★ The person beside us today
may be the very person we miss most tomorrow. ★
[Go back to Korean version] 한국어
Comments
Post a Comment