Wounds
Just as one must risk the thorns
to gather a flower,
so must I endure the wounds of my soul
if I am to seek love.
For we do not love in order to be wounded;
we are wounded because we choose to love.
— From “Wounds” by George Sand
These lines are introduced in poet Na Tae-joo’s Cherish Yourself as You Live.
Could love ever be expressed with greater beauty—or greater pain?
The poem evokes the fateful love and painful parting of Frédéric Chopin, the “Poet of the Piano,” and the writer George Sand, who was six years his senior.
Love may leave us wounded.
But we cannot turn away from love simply because we fear the pain.
Just as we must brave the prick of thorns if we wish to gather a flower, we must be willing to endure the pain that sometimes comes with loving someone. For these are wounds born not from seeking pain, but from having dared to love.
Love can hurt us deeply. Yet through that very pain, we sometimes come to realize just how deeply we have loved.
- From Dawn Light Notes by Ki Jun Kwon
Reflection of the Day
★ Am I turning away from love simply because I am afraid of being hurt? ★
[Go back to Korean version] 한국어
Comments
Post a Comment